23rd April is FOP Awareness Day!
#FunFeet4FOP is our annual social media campaign, launched in 2016, that takes place every April
FOP Awareness Day is celebrated every year on 23rd April, to coincide with the discovery of ACVR1, the gene that causes FOP.
This research breakthrough was pivotal in improving diagnosis for FOP patients and progressing the search for a cure. Since then, genetic testing has been made available to improve patient diagnosis.
Help us to raise awareness of FOP by getting your school, workplace, or local community to take part in our #FunFeet4FOP campaign. Snazzy socks, wacky wellies, pets in slippers, eye-catching pedis – it doesn’t matter how you pose as long as you have fun feet & toes!
Snap a photo of your funky feet, share on social media to raise awareness and help those with FOP.
An important early indication of FOP is malformed big toes at birth. Individuals with FOP normally have ‘turned in toes’ or ‘funny toes’. This classic sign is often not recognised, due to the rarity of FOP and the lack of awareness of the common physical FOP symptoms. Misdiagnosis of FOP is common (53% of cases), which in turn can result in traumatic, unnecessary treatment, such as biopsies, surgery, and chemotherapy.
Such treatments and interventions aggravate FOP symptoms and can accelerate the progression of the disease.
It is vital we raise awareness to reduce the number of late diagnoses, and misdiagnoses.
- Find your style and take a photo
- Upload it to all your social media pages from April 1st with the hashtags: #FunFeet4FOP #CureFOP
- Tag three friends to take up the challenge
- Tag FOP Friends and add the link to this webpage. Spread the word and raise awareness.
Go the extra mile and complete a #FunFeetFeat:
- Have a ‘Guess Whose Feet?’ Competition
- Host a Fun Feet Dance – put on your best dancing shoes
- Complete a Firewalk
- Decorate your footwear – either real version or picture template
- Do a Wacky Shoe Race
- Get a Foot Massage
- Bake and sell biscuits shaped like feet
- Sponsored sport in wacky footwear e.g., walk/run/football tournament
- Go to Work/School in Flip Flops/Crazy Socks/Crazy Shoes
- Have a ‘Fill the Boot With Money’ Competition
- Hold a shoe/sock fashion shoe
…or something else…